257th American Chemical Society Spring 2019 National Meeting & Exposition
"Chemistry for New Frontiers"
March 31st - April 4th 2019
"Swimming in Molasses and Walking in a Hurricane - Artificial Molecular Machines and the Next Generation of Molecular Control."
LSU GSSPC Hosted Symposium
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Orange County Convention Center Room W312B
The symposium planned by the LSU GSSPC will focus on emerging fundamental methods for controlling motion of molecular machines or motors which are aligned with goals set by DOE for controlling non-equilibrium structures and for developing chemical complexity. The symposium will emphasize mainly fundamental mechanisms, but also highlight interesting applications through a wide range of molecular machine experts in both theory and application.
The LSU GSSPC would like to congratulate the University of Michigan GSSPC team on being chosen to be the Spring 2020 GSSPC! Their symposium theme of "Smart Materials: From Stimuli to Response," goes along perfectly with the theme for the 259th National Meeting in Philadelphia of "Macromolecular Chemistry: The Second Century." We are excited to work with the University of Michigan team to make their symposium a huge success!
4 members of the LSU GSSPC thoroughly enjoyed their time in Boston, MA at the Fall 2018 National Meeting and Expo. We heard some great talks and did a lot of advertising for both our symposium and the call for application for the next GSSPC. We heard some amazing talks, including those found in the symposium hosted by the Duquesne GSSPC in honor of Dr. Jeffrey Madura. Meeting the amazing Jorge Cham, author of PhD Comics was just another highlight of the trip. We also enjoyed getting to visit Boston and see some amazing schools like Harvard and MIT. It made us very excited to get ready and host our own symposium coming up next in Orlando!
We had an amazing time at the ACS National Meeting in New Orleans, LA. We helped recruit for our school while also meeting one of our speakers, Ivan Aprahamian! We were able to see an amazing symposium put on by the University of Florida and even got to hear a Nobel Laureate speak. We were networking and working our best to get information out about our symposium, and it got us very excited to get to work on our upcoming symposium!
- 8/19/2018-8/23/2018: The LSU GSSPC attended the ACS National Meeting in Boston, MA, and saw a great symposium put on by the Duquesne GSSPC.
- 3/18/2018-3/22/2018: We attended the ACS National Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
- 3/16/2018: Dean Astumian agreed to participate in our symposium, taking our total confirmed speaker count up to 9! We are very excited to have Dr. Astumian, and appreciate him allowing us to use his phrase, "Swimming in molasses and walking in a hurricane," in our title!
- 2/26/2018: Sir Fraser Stoddart, the 2016 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, was confirmed as a speaker for our symposium! You can't get much better than a Nobel Laureate for the 8th confirmed speaker. Thank you Sir Stoddart!
- 2/19/2018: Our first 7 speakers were confirmed: James M. Tour, Tamar Seideman, David A. Leigh, Miguel A. Garcia-Garibay, Ivan Aprahamian, Henry Hess, Saw-Wai Hla. Thank you to all of our confirmed speakers for helping us make the best symposium possible!
- Louisiana State University was chosen to host the 2019 Spring Graduate Student Symposium in Orlando!